Saturday, July 21, 2007

Show Some Emotion, Baby!

To all the mothers and fathers who have raised teenagers, I have to stop and say, Thanks. There is nothing on this earth like a human teenager when it comes to indignities, self-righteousness, and emotional expression. Each and every day is a made-for-television movie drama. It might start with something so simple as having a stomach ache, but it will probably end with tears and gnashing of coming-of-age teeth. For this parent, that translates into my cell phone going off in the midst of work. "This is an emergency, Daddy!" Unfortunately, my own teen years were characterized by emotional suppression. "Keep a lid on it, boy." There is nothing that could have prepared me for the roller coaster ride of abject lows and near-cocaine-like highs that I can see in just a matter of minutes. Fortunately, I am OK with this transition, too!

No comments: