Monday, July 23, 2007

Air Quality

Last week when I was busy transporting children to medical and mental health appointments I noticed how terrible the traffic is here in my town. Mild road rage, disrespect and anger are boiling up. There are so many cars and trucks and vans and buses on the roads. The buses pass on the shoulder during rush hours. I know why but it still frightens me each time one of the behemoths cruises by on my right. These rush hours get longer and longer - now two to seven pm...and I do not even know what the morning times are. Fortunately for me, I do not usually have to resort to highway travel during these times. But it is summer time in Minnesota, meaning we are in full swing for our ROAD CONSTRUCTION. This means slower lanes, fewer lanes and more insanity. It also means poor air quality. Wheezing for me and headaches. I do not recall so many people living here. Where are we going to and coming from? I long for a short bus or bike ride in to work, with a decent grocery store within easy walking distance of my house. A small yard so that I can use a push mechanical mower, if at all. I think a flower and rock and wildflower lawn makes the most sense. Let the prairie do its thing here in the spring, summer and fall. I do not mind shoveling snow by hand. Even frequent snow falls as long as they are not heavy and wet.

So all the putrid air hanging over the city means I can't breathe. Means I can't ride my bike far. Means I can't play tennis or go for those long mind clearing walks. Means more air conditioning inside for me, which just adds to the problems of air quality. Sucks.

No comments: