Tuesday, March 06, 2007

it happens

Life happens in the middle of all that we have planned. Kids are born, jobs are gained and lost. Families change. Friends come and go. It happens in an infinitely long instant. We are aware of all that transpires, we simply find a way to let some of it trickle in at distinct moments in our lives. I see this happening daily now with my 12 1/2 year old. Education is important to her in the grand scheme of her life, yet we can't get her to do her homework or even talk about the difficulties she might be having. Of course, we have already talked about her "perfect infallibility" and "immortality" that can be her own Achilles Heel. I know that each generation must go through this in its own way. I know that reality does come screeching in at some age. I simply want her to be awake in the process.

As I watch my parents age and look in the mirror myself, I see that time is a formidable foe. Time is a constant. We can pretend and try to ignore the inexorable, but inevitability wins.

So here is a brief recap of 3/5/07. Woke up, dragged myself out of bed....(the Beatles were so right). Took a shower, made breakfast for the unappreciative 12 year old, prepared some lunch for her, reminded her to take her medication. Walked downstairs, fed her guinea pig (the one she has pledged eternal love to, but forgets to feed and change the litter), made sure Dude had some fresh water. Drove her to school, talking about the general importance of family and education and an awareness of what history teaches us so that we may avoid similar mistakes. Gladly accepted a quick grunt of semi-appreciation (probably more that the ride and talk was over).

Drove to pick up a client in suburb so that she could attend her one-year old's developmental screening. She told me her attorney wants her to keep her mouth closed when she is with me. Supposedly, if she does not tell me the bad things, I will likely never find out. (An adult version of peek-a-boo).

Drove client back home after getting her a cab voucher to visit FH again today. She was more vocal this time, prying me for answers to hypothetical questions. I did my best to give her the answers she sought (although likely not the answers she wanted).

Took phone call from ex. 12 year old mouthing off to Spanish teacher at school. Daughter did not want to call me. We chatted about this briefly. I fumed and claimed I needed time for calmness before I started thinking of responses. Will call her back later.

Took phone call from neighbor. My wife had caught her son dashing from our garage. She thought she was calling my wife. She wanted to know if we might press charges and what our response might be. I told her we would talk and get back to her. No sooner than that call ended, phone rings again. It is my wife with an explanation of the succession of events. She is also returning my call from the incident with 12 year old. Chaos is spinning webs inside of my head at this time.

Note on my desk chair. Apparently missed court hearing. Not on my calendar. Proactive...just go deal with it. Talk with supervisor, talk with county attorney. Reminder to call insurance agent and get money for counsel with sister in GA. He needs to fax something to me and have me send it back ASAP. Email from sister wondering what happened to money I had promised to send. Quick response explaining no rubber check sent; SNAFU on this end. Will take immediate action.

Call from FP about kids placed in her home. When?
Call from client about ICPC in Missouri. Already on it is response to her.
Call from therapist, call from in-home provider, email from co-worker about changed visit due to storm on Friday. VM from FP indicating SV cancelled due to storm on Friday and will makeup when able. On vacation now.

Grab muffin for lunch. Co-worker snatches a moment to tell me she accepted new position. We chat ever so briefly about promotional application I completed. Need to get back to desk for report that should have gone to judge for hearing I already missed.

Need to complete request for hotel for dad coming from CA for hearing next week to take kids in previously mentioned FH back to CA (4 kids). Need to get kids baggage so they do not have to take plastic garbage bags on plane. Done after I stop and talk to SW about changes and what might happen in court.

Middle of the day. I can't write more because I have to go back in a start this all over. But we did talk about the trespassing at dinner with the kids. We did talk about how important school is just before we started homework that 12 year old did not finish. I told her I would awaken her at 5:30 to do the oh so simple Spanish report that needed to be in today.

Woke up, got outta bed. Dragged a comb across my head.

No comments: