Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Pathetique

Sometimes my job truly sucks. I am working with a mother. She has four children with two different dads. She is strung out again and can't take care of her children. She has had at least a couple of treatments since this time last year. Her kids finally reach her on the telephone...she simply tells them not to call her anymore - it is too hard for her. Now this becomes my job. How do I soothe their tortured souls?

I am working with another mom. Drug of choice - meth. Ice and crank for those of you in the know. Highly addictive. Worse than crack they say. Controlled by motorcycle gangs where I live. She visits with her kids weekly. She does not do her UAs. She does not participate in therapy. She does not think that her meth habit is bad. She knows people who have it really bad. Of course, they either already lost their kids or are in the system yet. She whined today because everybody she knows is locked up or incarcerated somewhere.

What does this have to do with Ms POA? Nothing and everything. She would prefer that total strangers have better access to our mother than we should. She finally takes ancient advice and elects to get out mother into Adult Daycare. Horrible when we thought of it and suggested it. Brilliant when the idea "dawned" on her and the CNAs. See that I am invited to visit with my mother at the ADC, as long as I call ahead. Number provided, but not her scheduled days there. That would not be fair. Keep us guessing or at the least keep us on the edge of insanity. Talk with the HEADMASTER first. You beginning to get the gist of how this is all supposed to work? I am!

No comments: