Sunday, August 26, 2007

Monster


Monster, originally uploaded by Lukasia.

It's State Fair time again here in MN. I volunteered this year for MNartiists and went Friday afternoon for free. I rushed so I could get to the Cities 97 stage and maybe see some live performers (John Resnick and the Goo Goo Dolls). They were running late and the crowd was starting to thicken...(I hate crowds and being crushed). I looked around at that Cities 97 crowd and noticed so many blond haired blue-eyed people. I stopped to think that perhaps I should have been in another booth or so. Amazingly, I did not see another tanned or dark face....maybe that curly-haired girl waiting with her blue-eyed teeny bopper friends. I did get to hear Colby Callait from the studio.

I contemplated which of the forbidden grease-filled foods would do me the least harm. I tossed that idea into the roaring buzz of the growing crowd and headed right for the FRIED CHEESE CURDS that have done me in before. $4.75 later I had an oozing deep fat (but no transfat) heap of golden gooey cheese chunks. I ate half and remembered why I don't like them anymore. I thought about giving them away but thought better of that idea. Into the trash. Off to the Education Building.

A huge crowd just inside the front door waiting for the bag o's the season from St. Thomas University. This is the bag that will be filled with the freebies that people patrol the fair for. Yardsticks, magnets, buttons, cards, who knows and who cares as long as it is free stuff items.

My shift ended at 9:00...I strolled along the Midway. I was torn between watching and wanting to flee the fair as quickly as possible. I took a couple shots of the beautiful enticing lights of the midway and then beat a hasty retreat back to my car.

I get to go again today with the family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How well I know that feeling. I love the excitement and activity of things like fairs but I absolutely hate the crush of people. It's quite a dilemna that approach/avoidance thing.
~deb