Friday, August 03, 2007

Blame Game

Now comes the blame game. Everyone will be busy distancing themselves from the responsibility for the catastrophe. Initially, everyone was telling reporters that the bridge had been inspected and should have been fine. Now a new version of the truth begins to dribble from the lips of the people who we trust to monitor these things. Government agencies who have smaller budgets because no one likes to pay taxes. Well, guess what folks, it is our infrastructure. We drive more miles in larger vehicles and there are more of us driving. Who should pay for that? But we want to be able to have it all. Finer homes, with pools and security systems and satellite dishes and ....We just do not want to pay for those "hidden" expenses. Pollution, degradation, deforestation, dirt, poverty, anarchy. There are some of us who think we can shield ourselves from these extras. We think that our enclosed enclaves are castles with moats. I can assure you they are not. We think that the police exist to protect us from the have nots. To some extent this is true...but even then we have dwindled the sheer numbers and they are overpowered and understaffed. They can't be in all places at all times protecting all the "haves" who are spread out all over the place. Who are we going to blame when the seams rip the "fabric" of our society into tatters? Smart money is on blame ourselves. Too bad that will not happen!

My mother called me last night. She wanted to talk. She misses me. I told her to call Ms POA and let her know that she would like to visit her son in MN. I am not sure she will remember this conversation. I think she recalls emotion states, but can't quite have the portions of the brain effectively communicating with each other. This is so very sad. I imagine part of it is frightening; another part of it is blissful. Being disconnected from the tragedy of your own reality could allow one to simply exist. There should be some simple pleasures. The captors that care for my mother do not know me; don't seem to care for me and do not acknowledge me. I get no information from them - although it has been requested. The tragedy of this all is that our family could avoid the blame game. We are intelligent. Capable of reason and rational though. We have opposable thumbs. Somewhere in the education process though a couple of us became predators. I hate these kind of people. People who prey on the most vulnerable in our society should be sent to Papillon Island. There they can learn about being victims.

Soon mother dear. Sooner than perhaps you know. There will be victory.

No comments: