Monday, January 01, 2007

Some Kind of New Year

The world is awash with backpatters and wellwishers. Happy New Year. We survived another year here on the planet. The people who disseminate information for public consumption have once again told us what it is that we should believe. All the papers had editorials with the turning over of Sadaam as a public good. I disagree. If killing is wrong, it is wrong all the time. Who are we to judge? We created the monster, like so many others, and when we no longer need him or can control her, we eliminate them. I know there is a policy wonk name for this; it presently eludes me.

My sister, who is intimidated by me, called me today to wish me Happy New Year. A slap in the face is what it felt like! Abuse me, then ask me to like it and to continue to be your friend. I will always be your brother, but you can't have it both ways. I will not just ignore what happened just ten short days ago. I will not pretend that all is well between us. Wellwishing aside, I have to endure the reality that you are the frog crawling your way to the top of the pile on the backs of those fallen and injured frogs behind you. I am just leaping out of your way right now. I can't be your victim; not willingly. Tell your story to someone who might need a step-friend or half-brother. I am not he.

It snowed here and all acted as if it were a rarity. We moaned about the lack of snow and complained when it arrived. Know what I mean? I fell asleep before this New Year dawned. It really does not matter; I have time to enjoy it. Staying true to myself.

No comments: