Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Sam

 

This is the maternal grandfather that I never knew. He had died while my mother was young. She was raised by her saintly mother and older siblings. Now my mother is getting old. I took this from the wall in her home and made a copy of it for all the siblings. My mother is adamant that we not take her picture. I will have to disobey her. We have so very few of them that I realize that my children (her grandchildren) are not really going to know the strong independent and intelligent woman that I grew up with. We hope she can come to live with us for a spell. No word yet from the anti-social worker. It is quite disheartening that we have to spend our limited family resources going through these awful motions. We really are not asking much. Let grandmother spend some time with her youngest grandchildren. I am fairly certain she would not want to spend winters here anyway. But what a great place to spend the summer. We have a nice backyard and a deck and mosquitos galore now that it has rained. We have a grill and great neighbors and a wonderful neighborhood. We live on a quiet street. We have these awesome trees in our yard. Let grandmother come here until October 12, and then she can go elsewhere for the winter. I have a sister in Memphis who will gladly allow her to live there. I have a brother in Louisville, KY who will be glad to have his mother in his home. I have a sister in Atlanta who will gladly have our mother in her home. I have two sisters in Atlanta, though, who seem hell bent on making sure Mom is away from all possible family and love. I think they are just tired of being involved with her day to day. I think they have forgotten how we as a family have struggled through the bad times. I think they have too much faith in a corrupt and overwhelmed system that will warehouse our mother. I think they think they know best. I think they are wrong. Why can't we just give some of the alternatives a try before we put her out to pasture? I wish I knew.

Wonder what Sam would say? Wonder what Carter G would have to say about this? See, Sam is related to Carter G Woodson somehow or the other. At least that is the story I have been told all these years.

This is the same woman that cared for me when I was asthmatic and overwrought and tired and desolate. I think I could do the same for her for a few years. What do you think? Posted by Picasa

No comments: