Saturday, July 29, 2006

New Order


New Order
Originally uploaded by unohuu.
So many of us see the world in terms of simple Black and White; Yes or No; Right or WrongThese kind of polemical discussions serve little purpose in achieving harmony. We allow our differences to define us. It really is not necessary. Here is one definition of Polemics: Function: noun
Etymology: French polémique, from Middle French, from polemique controversial, from Greek polemikos warlike, hostile, from polemos war; perhaps akin to Greek pelemizein to shake, Old English ealfelo baleful
Date: 1638 1 a : an aggressive attack on or refutation of the opinions or principles of another b : the art or practice of disputation or controversy -- usually used in plural but sing. or plural in constr.
2 : an aggressive controversialist

The world as we know it won't survive another World War. There are too many disputants now. Christian vs Muslim vs Jew vs Rich vs Poor vs Western vs Eastern or Third World (where is the 2nd World?) vs ________________. What about our common humanity? Why can't we remove our masks and allow each other to see our common humanity?

I have more in common with those most unlike me than I would care to admit. Physically we are created so similarly. I choose to shed the false masks that I have worn. I will be neither Democrat nor Republican; I will embrace my humanit as well as yours. I will accept that your experiences are uniquely personal and while different than mine are no less valid. I will see you for who you are, not who I want you to be in my reality. I will leave my solipsism long enough to taste another bite of this great grape vine of our lives.

No comments: