Monday, July 25, 2011

U2 - Just Singing in the Rain


U2, originally uploaded by lucienphoto.

I went to see U2 here in Minneapolis. I learned a few things about myself in the process. I like people more than I think that I do. I had an interesting challenge because the person I bought the ticket from is a conservative through and through. We often taunt each other during the week in Facebook conversations and discussions. I take the more progressive or liberal tack and push against the conservative ideas that he espouses. In reality we are not all that different.

I learned more about myself during this wet and wild concert than I could have imagined. Tolerance, patience, desire, comfort, calmness. Standing there in the rain I wanted to leave but did not want to disappoint. I was getting incredibly uncomfortable when it no longer mattered anymore. The wetter I get, the more peaceful I got. I could not see clearly because the rain was distorting my vision through my eyeglasses. The jacket was dripping cold into my sodden jeans. My feet were screaming at me to move them instead of standing there in the rain. But I was OK.

Then the rain stopped and the concert ended. We had a short walk back to the motorcycle and then a chilly ride back to his car and a brisk ride back home. I was elated. The music was great, the show was spectacular. The camraderie with the myriad strangers surrounding me was almost palpable. Enough said. "Singing in the Rain"

No comments: