Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Windows II


Windows II, originally uploaded by unohuu.

I went to see a client in St. Paul on Monday. His apartment had that odor of stale smoke. I mean an odor that reeks of unopened windows and smoke that has not been moved for days or weeks. We were talking about reunification with his 1 year old son. I have written about him before, but this time we were seriously trying to figure out why he has not purchased a crib. He has no rent for at least another month; his expenses are minimal for now. All he needs is to get a crib and he could start having overnight visits with the baby. As it is right now, he has no playpen, no safety equipment for a soon to be crawling 1 year old. He does not seem to be serious to me.

Maybe it is my middle class and overprotective social worker values. I would have bought a crib with my first paycheck. I would have had all my friends looking into their basements and attics in search of the crib. Whatever it takes so the kid could be with me.

It was the Monday following Easter and I was already in St. Paul - I headed over to the Cathedral of St. Paul. Someone was giving a tour of this grand old building. I listened and quietly clicked away, wishing I had my tripod and praying that the images would be serviceable. The stained glass windows and the saintly alcoves. The click of heels on the marble floor. Impressive amounts of material went into the building of this Cathedral.

Following my respite and soul healing there I wandered down Selby Avenue. Formerly one bastion of racial inequality and despair in the Midwest. Now this area is awash with trendy restaurants, chic condos (1BR no view $219K), and great little shops like this one here. I love wedding dresses. Something special and magical about them. Women buy them for a single wearing only. Imagine the faith a man would have to have to purchase something knowing that he might never use it again. Some fancy car he could only drive one night then have it sit in the garage and passed on to his son.

That's all.

No comments: