Monday, June 04, 2007

Salt n' Peppa


Salt n' Peppa, originally uploaded by unohuu.

My brother married on Saturday. I flew into Chicago and drove with my uncle and father down to Louisville. There were not many wedding style events. No rehearsal dinner (in facct, there was no rehearsal), nor any kind of family gathering. We showed up; I set up my camera and my father's video camera and waited. A few minutes later, people started appearing. I had no idea who belonged to anyone side of the family. It really got me to thinking. I met my S-I-L and eventually her parents (who seemed truly disinterested in knowing us). I know nothing of her except snippets of what I overheard in hushed tones. She has been divorced twice. She has a twenty-one year old son. They were actually married last month so that they could purchase the house together. Our family has secrets. We could teach the hush hush services a thing or two. We could train spies.

This image was a practice shot for me. But it has become a reality as I think back to what the family has become. Ms POA wanted to hear from us and now she is simply ignoring the information that we shared with her. I think she needs a mental status exam. What purpose does it serve to tear this already weakened family apart? What will she get? What is in it for her? I continue to scratch my head in wonder.

My father's physical abilities continue to diminish. He refuses to give up though. My brother joked about him falling asleep during the ceremony. I knew that not being able to perform this after driving all the way would have broken his heart. In his own way, my gruff old dad is just an old sap. He is a soft touch for bunnies and cats and small children. He loves romance. I caught him watching Titanic last night on TV.

Back to the grist mill system of making empty promises to protect children. We have come full circle for sure when all one has to do is scream about the injustice of the very system designed to protect children from families and predators. I am not saying that we do not provide a valuable service to the community - I am saying that our efforts are only half-assed. Too much violence and neglect before we remove them. Too much damage to their psyches. Too few psychologists and social workers in charge. Too many business-oriented managers that want to count the widgets and show with some certainty that we are doing our job. What price for a life? Imagine she is your daugher or he your nephew. What price then?

No comments: