Thursday, August 24, 2006

Mugsy


Blue C
Originally uploaded by unohuu.
Kids have pets...those pets sometimes die. we have had hamsters, guinea pigs, fish, hermit crabs, dogs, cats, and a snake. We have experienced their deaths from age or illness or infirmity. Today, I went to feed my son's bird, Mugsy. Mugsy had squeezed his head through the bars of his cage and had gotten stuck. Mugsy had become an escape artist. He was out when I came in from work. No problem. I put on my leather work gloves (Mugsy would bite if given the chance [maybe this could have been a clue for us] and dutifully caught him and put him back into his cage. Not good enough for Mugsy, I guess. Bird suicide. Perhaps not intentional, but really got me thinking.

We keep animals against their will. Yes, our domesticated pets love us in return. This parakeet was not happy with us; did not enjoy our company and wanted to be free. Maybe Mugsy wanted a different family. We will not know now.

My son is on vacation with his mother. I will not tell him until he comes back here on Saturday. That little bird gives me a sense of great loss. Mugsy, I am sorry.

No comments: