Monday, July 15, 2013

Hoodie Alert

I woke up this morning and felt the weight of so many previous generations on my shoulders and my mind.  I heard what the President said about the legal system, but it does not satisfy my lust for revenge.  It is not just revenge for Trayvon and Emmett, those four innocent young black girls, and so many older "soldiers" fallen in the cause.  It is for my children and my grandchildren.

I have to ask myself if we have become complacent with our middle-class existence.  We do not know hunger, or violence, or blatant discrimination.  We have education, and professional status to separate us from the less fortunate.  We have connections in some of the right places.  We have money (not much, but enough) that we can shop at a regular grocery store rather than the corner market.  Why?

ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTION: Did divide and conquer play an important role in this?  Is it one more manufactured crisis for the communities of diversity to deal with?  Is it another distraction while the neo-cons strategically dismantle our protections?  Do we have to worry about the abortion debate, Stand Your Ground, women's rights, GLBT rights and basic protections for our young and our vulnerable?  What price is too much?

Let's see what happens next?


No comments: